My Joomla 2.5 page show NOTHING when my PHP code has errors

A multipurpose module, plugin and component

My Joomla 2.5 page show NOTHING when my PHP code has errors

New postby ingvar » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:07 pm

Hello

I have very recently installed Joomla 2.5.9 and the latest JUMI version.

I have several articles which simply contain the following text only:
{jumi [myphpfile.php]}

And a menu which links to these "Single Article"s.

Jumi is working, and my working PHP code gets processed and displayed correctly.
But if I have any error in my PHP code, then the page shows up completely blank, and viewing the source code also gives a completely blank document.

I have tried to follow this advice:
Switch in the admin backend Jumi mambot/plugin advanced parameter "Debug mode" to On. You may see Jumi error message now (unable to include stored code or there is nothing to be shown).

But I can not find a "Debug mode" in the advanced parameters. The JUMI plugin, in fact has no advanced parameters.
The module has advanced parameters, but does still not have a debug mode. I use the plugin only, but having the module visible or not does not make a difference.

Please note that JUMI is working as my code will generate a page if it has no errors in it.
I just need to see debug information when there are errors.

Not being able to see why the PHP code crashes makes it almost impossible to track down the error in the code. And making tiny increments in development to always be sure it has no errors is not always feasible... I would greatly appreciate some advice on what could cause this or how to fix it...

Thanks!
ingvar

Re: My Joomla 2.5 page show NOTHING when my PHP code has err

New postby Wolf_gang » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:57 am

This might be a problem of php.ini . Did you check if you receive any error message from PHP while execution?

Look in php.ini starting at line 520 (approx.) and following. Set all parameters to the highest (= most "speaking") level and try again.

E.G.: If "display_errors = Off" you will not see any error, so maybe joomla and jumi cannot show you anything.

Just one advice: Never show errors on a productive environment. This is a clear invitiation for hackers.

Wolfgang
Wolf_gang

New postby ingvar » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:01 am

Hello, and thank you for your reply!

I have php.ini configured with
error_reporting = E_ALL & ~E_STRICT
display_errors = On

The very odd error will be displayed, such as calling a function which does not exist.
But i.e. having a "goto" which targets an invalid label gives a blank page.
Forgetting a ; or a ] or a ) or replacing a ( with a { or something like that gives plank page.
ingvar

New postby KaLEl00 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:08 pm

Not being able to see why the PHP code crashes makes it almost impossible to track down the error in the code. And making tiny increments in development to always be sure it has no errors is not always feasible... I would greatly appreciate some advice on what could cause this or how to fix it...
KaLEl00

Return to Jumi