Stripping escape characters

A multipurpose module, plugin and component

Stripping escape characters

New postby jnorwich » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:24 pm

Each time I save a custom Jumi application in the Joomla backend it is stripping out one instance of my escape characters.

For example if my application were to be:

Code: Select all
echo "First line \n Second line.";

After clicking save the editor window will read

Code: Select all
echo "First line n Second line.";

I have used Jumi on many sites (I find it to generally be a fantastic addition to a Joomla site) and this is the first time I am encountering this issue.

I have turned php filtering off in JCE but to no effect. Escape characters are a crucial part of php development, so if anyone has a fix I would like to hear it.
jnorwich

Re: Stripping escape characters

New postby jnorwich » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:36 pm

For anyone curious I've gotten around this aggravating behaviour by placing my php code in custom scripts on the server rather than creating items in the backend of Jumi.

I call them in articles, modules, etc. with {jumi [path/to/the/script]} plugin code.
jnorwich

New postby speedpacer » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:11 pm

First, I want to say thanks for this extension! I've used other similar extensions in the past on other sites but they didn't work in this particular environment, maybe a conflict with another plugin or Joomla version 2.15, not sure, but Jumi did the trick!

I also ran into this issue with the stripping of the escape character. It was easily resolved by adding two "\\" instead of just the one "\". Hope this saves someone else a little frustration.

Cheers!
speedpacer

New postby speedpacer » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:32 pm

guess I spoke to soon... it must be placing windows eols in the file I'm writing to because unix (ie, ldapmodify) doesn't like the file format... anyone else work around this? I don't really want to use external scripts because I need to access JFactory variables.
speedpacer

New postby speedpacer » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:06 pm

nevermind, I'm an idiot.
speedpacer

New postby JEfromCanada » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:45 am

Speedpacer,

I am having the same issue. I did as you suggested, adding double backslash, and that works - until the next time you save the code - then the backslash disappears again.

When you said "never mind ...", does that mean you found a solution that works? I'm still stymied and hoped you could help.
JEfromCanada

Return to Jumi